My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Mum likes reading, decorating, shopping with the girls, and Starbucks. She also feels funny writing in the 3rd person. Papa (also known as Sparky) is currently looking at me with a blank stare having asked him to add something about himself to the blog. (Now he wants to say something) The only thing he loves more in life than music and Coke is his wife and kids. (Awww...) :) Little Lotte is a genius on the computer and makes me fall over laughing every day with her quick wit. She loves computers and animals. Sweet Pea abandoned her family and moved to Phoenix for work and is now married as of 2/28/06. She is beautiful and smart and the most nurturing person I know. She gave me the greatest gift ever when she made me a grandmother. I am the proud Mum Mum to Andrew Christopher. There are no words to describe the joy of having a grandson!

Friday, June 30, 2006

Last Night I Didn't Get to Sleep At All...



I had to be at an instructional team leader "retreat" today so I technically had my first day back to work since summer vacation began for me. I can NEVER sleep the night before a work day. I forgot that little fact and "worked" in my sleep all night long. I am TIRED!!!

The reason I put retreat in quotation marks is because normally our "retreats" are held in the library and we do team building activities where we spin our chairs around really fast while calling out our high school nicknames until we find someone who uses the same brand of toothpaste as we do. Then we take 3 hours and 45 minutes to discuss active participation, reinvent the standards and align them with the planet Mercury while writing lesson plans for the year. After a 15 minutes break where we eat stale chocolate chip cookies, it's back to discussing closure in a lesson for 4 hours and 15 minutes and then it's lunch time. Lunch is usually a day old tortilla with day old shredded chicken and a brown piece of lettuce with a stale chocolate chip cookie for dessert. Mind you -- there are NEVER any diet sodas at these things.

So imagine my surprise when I received the email stating that we were meeting at the Tanque Verde Guest Ranch for our retreat. Granted, there was nary a diet pepsi to be found but being the wise, experienced teacher that I am, I brought along 2 cans of diet pepsi to sustain me throughout the day.

It was a good day and I will not bore you with the details except to say that my schedule for next year rocks and I like the people on the leadership team. We only discussed active participation and closure for about 45 minutes total all day, and they served us a killer lunch buffet.

Speaking of food, we went over the wellness policy and it's really incredible. Thanks, once again, to NCLB, cupcakes are no longer allowed in the classroom for a child's birthday. You can't even drink Gatorade so don't even think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home