My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Mum likes reading, decorating, shopping with the girls, and Starbucks. She also feels funny writing in the 3rd person. Papa (also known as Sparky) is currently looking at me with a blank stare having asked him to add something about himself to the blog. (Now he wants to say something) The only thing he loves more in life than music and Coke is his wife and kids. (Awww...) :) Little Lotte is a genius on the computer and makes me fall over laughing every day with her quick wit. She loves computers and animals. Sweet Pea abandoned her family and moved to Phoenix for work and is now married as of 2/28/06. She is beautiful and smart and the most nurturing person I know. She gave me the greatest gift ever when she made me a grandmother. I am the proud Mum Mum to Andrew Christopher. There are no words to describe the joy of having a grandson!

Sunday, December 18, 2005

More than you wanted to know...


Christmas Memories

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Duh, hot chocolate!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Why would you sit an unwrapped present under the tree, Santa or otherwise? It MUST be wrapped, it must have a pretty bow or ribbon. Sometimes we leave hints about what is inside the package by how we sign the gift tag. For example: TO: Snow Baby FROM: The Prince (that means it has something Snow White inside) or…TO: The Music Man From: Marian (that means there is something to do with music inside the package.) Aren’t we clever? Gonna hurl now?

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Well, sigh…. Again, 'nother long answer…. I have really been into snowflakes so I like white lights on the house. I have always put white lights on the tree. But we have this really old set of those traditional, large, colored bulbs that remind me of my childhood so we sometimes put them up outside too. Sparky always takes care of me like that. :)

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
We used to but we haven’t in years. We should get back into that! We DO burn bayberry candles on Christmas and New Year’s Eve. We have a hard time finding authentic ones in Az. so Sparky’s mom usually sends them from Pennsylvania. You light them and must let them burn down to nothing. It’s bad luck to blow them out. So you start early and leave them in the bathtub when you go to bed.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
The tree and all the trimmings ALWAYS go up after Thanksgiving Dinner!

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Candied Sweet Potatoes.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
AS a child – getting my Suzie Homemaker Grill and a Dawn Fashion Show another year. (We couldn’t afford Barbie, dawn was the ghetto version.) Another childhood memory would be the lights on the street light poles when it was snowing, just beautiful! And I have always loved blue foil wrapping paper because one year I had a gift wrapped in that. So every year, Sparky wraps at least ONE gift in blue foil. J I also remember always having a real tree. We went out on Christmas eve to get ours because they usually gave them away or we paid a buck for it. We didn’t have money for a fake one. NEVER had a silver one, too much money. I always got 2 walnuts and a tangerine in my stocking. I always had a stocking and to this day, we do stockings. I will NEVER stop that tradition! I could go on but Christmas will be here soon! :)

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I always knew because well when Santa doesn’t bring you anything at all or one gift and your friends get a gazillon, you figure it out. However, I believed in the Tooth Fairy until I was at least 10.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Jammies (new) get opened and then we choose a stocking stuffer to open. That’s all. One year, Sparky and I were newly married and went crazy – couldn’t wait and opened EVERYTHING and had nothing for Christmas morning. It was so sad! We learned our lesson and never did that again!

10. What kind of cookies does Santa get set out for him?
Usually chocolate chip ones. Little Lottie leaves carrots for his reindeer.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
LOVE IT, but that’s probably because I am in Arizona and don’t remember it? I MISS WEATHER, period!!! It doesn’t rain, it doesn’t snow, it doesn’t storm except the occasional monsoon.

12. Can you ice skate?
Bahahaha, no.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Yes. It was a watch pendent, mother of pearl face. It was my 12th birthday. My parents must have really saved for it. I knew what it was under the tree but had to act surprised when I opened it so as not to disappoint them but I loved it so much that it was easy to do.

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
I love giving. Especially the older I get, I get a kick out of finding the right present for everyone. Being with family is the only way to enjoy the holidays. Christmas Eve is my favorite day of the year because of all the build up and anticipation.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Gosh, anything chocolate? Maybe M & M cookies.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Sparky ALWAYS reads The Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve. We also ALWAYS watch Christmas Vacation sometime the week before Christmas.

17. What tops your tree?
We have never had a set thing – this year it’s a star.

18. Which do you prefer Giving or Receiving?
AS above, giving. I never think about what I will get. (Which makes it extra special because I forget that I get stuff for Christmas too!)

19. What is your favorite Christmas Carol?
O Come Immanuel

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
Yuck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home