My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Mum likes reading, decorating, shopping with the girls, and Starbucks. She also feels funny writing in the 3rd person. Papa (also known as Sparky) is currently looking at me with a blank stare having asked him to add something about himself to the blog. (Now he wants to say something) The only thing he loves more in life than music and Coke is his wife and kids. (Awww...) :) Little Lotte is a genius on the computer and makes me fall over laughing every day with her quick wit. She loves computers and animals. Sweet Pea abandoned her family and moved to Phoenix for work and is now married as of 2/28/06. She is beautiful and smart and the most nurturing person I know. She gave me the greatest gift ever when she made me a grandmother. I am the proud Mum Mum to Andrew Christopher. There are no words to describe the joy of having a grandson!

Sunday, August 28, 2005

My oldest sister, Edna & Me


I was thinking about my sister, Edna, who lives in Tylertown, Mississippi. We have been watching the news this morning concerning Katrina. I decided to write to my sister here in town and ask if she had heard from Edna. As I hit the send button, an email appeared in my inbox.

"This maybe the last you hear from me for awhile. It looks like we're going to take a pretty bad hit from this hurricane. I'm staying in my house. I'm not leaving my animals and in a small town like this there is no place to take them and be sure they will be safe.

You can go to weather underground.com and type in my zip code, 39667, or Tylertown MS and see how bad it's going to be. I'm scared but I'm sure I'll live through it. Please keep me in your prayers.
Love, Mom aka Edna
we expect to be hit at dark tomorrow."

Wow. I've never had a loved one in the path of danger such as this. It really hit home but I was so glad I was online so that I could respond to her right away. She responded back:

"Thanks for responding so fast. I talked to Connie last evening, they werein Houston for a surprise party for George's 40 BD. They should be back home sometime today. I appreciate the prayers and lighting the candle. I really believe I'll be OK, but just in case I wanted you all to know how much I love you.
Give the girls a hug from their Aunt Edna.
And again thanks.
Love, Edna"

She wanted us to know how much she loves us.

I had no doubts about that. You see, even though she is 14 years older than I am, she was and will always be a very influential person in my life. The problem is -- she may not realize that. We never lived in the same house. But she would visit me every now and again (5 - 10 years between visits!) and HOW I ADMIRED HER! See, Edna is a blonde haired, blue eyed beauty. She wore HOT PANTS! She could even wear a bikini! And she smiled a lot and threw her head back when she laughed. I had no idea what a rough life she had because you would never have known it from her personality.

Edna brought me a book about Niagara Falls when I was about 12, which began a lifelong love of the Falls. When I was reallly little, she taught me how to brush my teeth (I'll bet she doesn't remember that but I DO!) Later in life, I found out what a great cook she is. (Hmm, starting to wonder if she is adopted!!!) And she is a complete animal lover, like my Little Lotte.

Even though we don't get to see each other as much as we might like, we are still family. Now it's my turn to let her know, nothing is going to happen to her. And now she will know how much I love her as well. Be well, Sis.


God be with you till we meet again;
Neath His wings protecting hide you;
Daily manna still provide you;
God be with you till we meet again

God be with you till we meet again;
Keep love’s banner floating o’er you,
Strike death’s threatening wave before you;
God be with you till we meet again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home