My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Mum likes reading, decorating, shopping with the girls, and Starbucks. She also feels funny writing in the 3rd person. Papa (also known as Sparky) is currently looking at me with a blank stare having asked him to add something about himself to the blog. (Now he wants to say something) The only thing he loves more in life than music and Coke is his wife and kids. (Awww...) :) Little Lotte is a genius on the computer and makes me fall over laughing every day with her quick wit. She loves computers and animals. Sweet Pea abandoned her family and moved to Phoenix for work and is now married as of 2/28/06. She is beautiful and smart and the most nurturing person I know. She gave me the greatest gift ever when she made me a grandmother. I am the proud Mum Mum to Andrew Christopher. There are no words to describe the joy of having a grandson!

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

A Rose By Any Other Name...

Wow... I've been a bad blogger. I've just been so busy blah, blah, blah...

Just returend recently from a trip to Pa. and will write about that later. Tonight I want to write about my birth certificate.

It all started when I was going through some old papers, looking for pictures and momentos of me to post on a bulletin board to introduce myself to my new class this year. As I was looking through all of my school things, I saw my name listed SEVERAL times as "Marjorie". I remember as a child having to justify my name as Margie, not Margaret, not Marjorie, not any other form but MARGIE. Teachers would ask me my REAL name and when I would say Margie, they would smile and say... "It's ok, we'll ask your mother." Sigh... fine but my name really IS just Margie.

But going through all of these papers, I saw the common theme of Marjorie. What exactly DID my birth certificate say? Did mom write down Marjorie and never mention that fact to me? Was I really a Margaret or a Marjorie and all of those years of righteous indignation at being ignored, when I insisted I was really given a nickname for my full name, were for naught? Was Harvey really my dad?! WHOSE name was on my certificate!? ALL of these bizarre thoughts started floating around in my head. I promptly sat down and wrote The Commonwealth of Pa. and gave them some money. In return, they sent me a copy of my birth certificate. (I'd never seen it!!!) Well -- it's actually a copy made recently but showing the information at my birth. It was noted that an amendment was made to my certificate on 5/16/72. That would be the year that my parents married (or it was 1971, not really sure) and they filed to have my last name changed to my dad's last name.

So the envelope arrives in the mail and Sparky ceremoniusly throws it my way. I take a deep breath... I open the envelope and for dramatic purposes, take a pause. Sparky rips the paper from my hand and opens it up. He doesn't look stunned so I figure it's what I've known all along... I really am a Margie, not a Margaret or a Marjorie. Sure enough.... there it is.

I then read down a line. Mother: Blanche Esther. Check. Maiden Name: McIntire. Check.
Father's Name: Harvard. Chec... wait... what the ?!??!!? HARVARD?! My dad's name was HARVARD?! HOW COME I DIDN'T KNOW THIS?! NOT once in my life did I ever hear he was anything but Harvey. That was a little shocker. Here I was wondering if my name was more formal than the nickname and it was MY DAD's name that was MORE FORMAL than I ever knew!!! Harvard. (Who names their kid Harvard?) Wow... I buried my dad as Harvey. I had NO idea. No one ever mentioned that little fact. Maybe that is why I have trouble finding information on geneology? Who knows... but NOW that I have this information, maybe I can get my parent's birth certificates and get some more names for the family tree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home